Electrical equipment on your land is usually held under what is known as a wayleave, a legal contract between you and the Regional Electricity Provider. Often you may not be receiving your payment, if so, you can make a claim today!

When you purchase a new property, whether it be land or a home, you may very well have electrical equipment housed on it. Most people accept it’s there and move on. But that doesn’t have to be the case.

Under law, you may be owed financial compensation for any electrical equipment on or crossing your land, and Barlow and Sons specialise in ensuring you receive just that.

Key Features of a Wayleave

  • Annual or lump sum payments
  • You may ask to have the equipment removed in the future
  • In some circumstances you may be able to back claim missing payments for up to 6 years

Once you agree to a wayleave payment, you will continue to receive that amount for the entire time you own the land. When you sell the land, the new freeholder can then make a claim for themselves.

Because it is a contract between you and the regional electricity provider, you may inform them at any time that you wish to end the wayleave and serve notice to remove the equipment.

It gives you the flexibility to receive payments for the equipment, but not be locked into having them on your land for perpetuity as is the case with an easement.

Amount you can receive

Wayleave agreements usually pay out between £10 - £35 per year for a pole on residential property or arable farm land.

You can expect to receive much less than that for a wire stay or wooden strut, but much more for a pylon. However, each pole and each claim is different, so under the right circumstances you could be looking at much more than £20 for a pole.

Making a Claim with Barlow and Sons

For our wayleave service, we seek our fee direct from the regional electricity supplier.

Any claims you put in with us usually take between 3 and 6 months for completion, however more complex matters may take longer.

During that time, we will conduct a full survey of your land, determine what equipment may be missing from any previous agreements, ensure you are back paid for any monies owed and create a new, fair payment for you going forward.